Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Best Homemade Strawberry Ices


The Best Homemade Strawberry Ices

The other day I went to market around the corner from my apt.  The strawberries were on sale for $1.99 per lb.  I promptly walked home with 7 packages. One whole package of strawberries for the same price as a packet of gum.  What a steal!
As I unloaded them into my fridge, I imagined myself drinking a smoothie every morning for the next 30 days.  Hmmm.  What other fun things can I do with this bounty?  
Since I’d been having major luck with citrus granitas lately, I decided to try my hand at strawberry flavored ices.
I crushed the berries well with my hands, leaving all the seeds and pulp in the mixture.  Why take out what makes a strawberry a strawberry?  I dissolved some sugar and water in a pot along with half the berries and when the mixture began to simmer, I pulled it off the stove, let it cool and mixed with other berries.
Next some fresh lemon juice.  Into the freezer for 2 hours, then a scrape.  Another 2 hours and another scrape.   This wasn’t as easy to do with all the pulp, I thought, my right arm tiring. 
When the ices melted slightly, the entire rectangle loosened and moved about in it’s own container.  I was frustrated that I wasn’t quite getting the same texture as my other granitas.  Was I going to have to throw this all away or sit around my apt getting brain freeze sucking on blocks of strawberry ice?
Then, I had an epiphany.  Flip it! And there it was.
The shiny, shocking crystalline surface of the bottom side of a marino’s ice cup. Suddenly I was 6 and in the park behind skyview.  My lips were bright red and my frayed little jean shorts were a little sticky from the drippy ices falling off my flat mini wooden spoon.
The ice cream truck played its repetitive jingle over and over outside the entrance to the park.   This was the soundtrack to summer in the 80’s; Those countless moments sitting by the monkey bars, scraping and scraping until the sun beat down hot enough to melt my ices so I could wedge that little spoon between the yellow paper cup and little block of red ice, flip it and finally get to the sugary goodness.
If it wasn’t fun dip, it was marino’s and now before my eyes was the closest, most natural version of my favorite summertime treat.  I’ve made this a few times now for kids (of all ages) and they go wild for them.  Enjoy!  From my kitchen to yours! 
Homemade Strawberry Ices
Serves 6-8

2 1/2 lbs. Strawberries*
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 Lemon, seeded and squeezed

Stem the strawberries and place in a bowl.  Crush them to a pulp in your hands*, extracting as much of the juice as possible.
Place half the strawberries in a pot with the sugar and water.  Heat over medium and stir until the sugar dissolves and syrup turns bright red.  Combine with the uncooked strawberries and add lemon juice as needed to balance out the sweetness.
Place in a pyrex dish or large rectangular casserole.  Freeze for 2 hours and use a fork to scrape against the surface of the ices.  Freeze another 2 hours and scrape again (You may loosen the mixture and flip over to access the icy crystals below the strawberry pulp.  This will be easier to scrape.)
For a creamier, sorbet-like texture, quickly puree the ices in small batches in a blender and return to the freezer for an hour before serving.   Serve alone or with fresh berries.

Cook’s Notes:

*Depending on the season, ripeness and batch of strawberries, the sweetness and overall flavor of the berry will affect the outcome of the ices.  Use the freshest, most flavorful berries you can find.   Use the lemon juice to balance out the sweetness of the ices.
**A neater way to do this is to place the berries in a Ziploc bag, let out the air and seal.  Mash well and continue as directed.  Also a fun cooking activity to do with the kids!

Key words: Danielle Rehfeld, Stawberry Ices, Strawberry, Summer Desserts, Easy Desserts, Dairy free, gluten free, Kid-friendly


No comments:

Post a Comment